I'm a children's author, wife and mum in no particular order. I perform these jobs simultaneously and I love them all!

Tuesday 29 March 2016

The Newcastle Writers Festival Kids Program - Day 1 - Liz Anelli's Desert Lake Workshop


The Newcastle Writers Festival Kids Program started today. It will continue until Saturday afternoon. It's a huge week for all involved but just seeing the kids skip back onto their buses inspired to read, write and illustrate makes it all worth it.

I'll be blogging very day until it's over. So if you can't make it, join me on my blog. It will feel like you were there.

Today started with an amazing workshop hosted by local illustrator, Liz Anelli.


Liz had a large group of Year 5 and 6 students making 2D bugs using the same skills she used to create the illustrations in her upcoming picture book, Desert Lake: The Story of Kati Thanda - Lake Eyre. They printed, painted, patterned, collaged, drew and cut out bugs to add to a very large mural background from her book. By the end of the festival and the April School Holidays, it will be full of handmade bugs and critters.

Before:

The children got very creative. 



Once their bugs were constructed and cut out, they added them to the mural.




After:

While the kids were busy, I got busy too - sticky breaking at Liz's exhibition. It's based on a book written by Pamela Freeman and published by Walker Books. It's one book in a Nature Story series. 


The exhibition is a reflection of Liz's research journey around the Central Australian Outback.









The collection is full of Liz's sketches created while she visited Lake Eyre. 
The colours and textures she portrays are amazing.

This exhibition will be formally launched in the 
Lovett Gallery at Newcastle Library on 
Friday, 8th April at 5:30pm. 
Everyone is welcome. 
Please RSVP via https://www.eventbrite.com.au

MacLean's Booksellers have also finished setting up their Pop-up Kids Festival Bookshop in the Newcastle Library. The array of books displayed is scrumptious! 




Time for bed. We have one of the largest days of the festival for school groups tomorrow. I look forward to sharing it with you tomorrow night.

Oh and I will be doing my very first author talk at a writers festival tomorrow too. I'm nervous but very excited to have the opportunity to have some fun with the kids while wearing my author hat. Wish me luck!




No comments:

Post a Comment